“I can’t understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I’m frightened of the old ones”, John Cage. When I talk to people about creativity, innovation and new ideas most people agree that it is needed in their work. The majority of people will also say they are not creative. Creativity is a subject surrounded by many myths, for example that you are either born creative, or not. This is not true; everybody can develop his or her creativity. Unfortunately many people have been told that they are not creative and therefore will never even try to write a book, design a piece of furniture or create a new solution to a technical problem at work. Regardless of your age, you can start developing your creativity here and now by being open minded, challenging your beliefs and believing in your ideas. If you still feel a bit unsure, just look at all the fantastic blogs on worldpress. How many of you thought your blog would be read, and appreciated by thousands and thousands of people around the world? Instead of me given you a creative challenge, I am asking you to share your best tip on being creative. My tip is: read children books.
Today I would like to say a big thank you to Tom Lucas, http://readtomlucas.com for nominating me for The Reader Appreciation Award. I happily accept this award, and I’m very grateful that people take time to read my blog. I’m going to tell you 6 things about me, and then nominate 6 fantastic blogs.
1. My grandmother on my father’s side was the youngest of 12 siblings. The 6 oldest immigrated to America, and most of them ended up in Jamestown, New York. My grandfather, again on my fathers side had relatives that immigrated to Texas before he was born. If you have Swedish ancestors, and you want to find them, you need to go to my hometown, Växjö http://www.utvandrarnashus.se/eng/.
2. I have been asked 3 times to audition in my professional capacity as a coach for different TV shows. I have turned them down every time.
3. When I grew up we used to do tribute shows to ABBA almost every week in school. I was always Agneta, the blonde singer. I still love ABBA. If you want to get happy quickly, put on their music, and then dance and sing a long like in the movie Mamma Mia.
4. I’m a tee connoisseur, and I sometimes daydream that I own a tee plantation. My entire trip to China a few years ago was planned around the visit to a tee plantation, but it was a big disappointment.
5. I’m a news junkie; I rigorously watch the news and current affairs program every day. I read newspapers from all around the world. Finance, politics, business, opinion, science, and art – I read it all.
6. Last year I broke my ribs 3 times, and the pain made me cry a lot. I also injured my left arm, and an eye. I blame my vacuum cleaner, new glasses and one single strawberry. It could have been worse.
I would like to nominate 6 amazing blogs for The Reader Appreciation Award. Check them out and take a trip to India, Pakistan, Australia and England. Enjoy! //Marianne